William George Sharp immigrated to New Zealand from England in 1865 on board the sailing ship Bombay. William married Mary Wooten and they had six children including Bill Sharp, their latest arrival.
Bill grew up in the days where logging was a far cry from today’s methods. Bill married Annie Rooke, and they in turn had a family of nine. Their oldest son Cyril came along in 1906, and seven years later Bill and Annie purchased a farm at Matakana. Cyril grew up on a farm, and with most farmers in those days quarrying was done on the land.
As his father did before him, Cyril grew up on a farm where quarrying was a major part of daily activities.
Cyril Sharp operated numerous quarries in Northland New Zealand. Back in the mid 1950s, William Andrews & Arthur Beaven of Christchurch NZ, designed and manufactured this new portable crusher for Cyril Sharp.
Lyn Jordon was the quarry manager at Cyril Sharps’ Whangaripo Quarry. Lyn was one of the original members of The Institute of Quarrying in New Zealand.
“The Lyn Jordan Memorial Trophy is awarded to the Institute member, or members, whose technical paper is judged the best given at an Institute Branch Meeting or the NZ Annual Conference by The Institute of Quarrying NZ (Inc).” (The Institute of Quarrying NZ 2003)
The Timoko and Smeath brothers had sub-contracting businesses and both can be seen here loading up in 1955. The brothers from Waima and Maromaku respectively are well remembered by the Sharp family today.
Matakana (Omaha Valley) Quarry developed circa. 1955 by Cyril Sharp on a farm owned by Alf Rounder. Aggregate was delivered as far as Hadfield Beach. Peter Sharp (Cyril’s eldest son) managed the quarry for five years. Today the quarry is operated by Wharehine Contractors.
One of Cyril Sharps’ Northwest Model 25 face shovels at Bombay quarry. The shovel was developed and operated by Cyril for a number of years. A Kueken crusher can be seen in the photo. These double toggle crushers were manufactured in Britain and were favoured by Cyril due to their low maintenance, weight and power requirements.
The Leyland Super Beaver truck was manufactured in the 1940s. Here we can see a portable crusher on-the-move in 1957.
In the 1950s, while Richard was helping the workers at Templeton’s Hill Quarry, Hermann J. Neidhart applied for a patent on his torsion spring design. Little did Richard know then, that later in life when he was managing quarries himself, he would come across Hermanns design and Richard utilized this torsion spring in several applications.
In the early 1990s Richard Sharp developed many innovative products including self-tensioning motorbases, chain tensioners and dynamic impact beds, some utilizing the principles of Hermann’s inventions.
Many people who grew up in the quarry industry will tell you that innovation is a daily activity, where spanners are thrown in the works without notice. Reacting to the problems often requires ingenious solutions to keep the product flowing.
Today Leverlink manufacturers the world’s largest torsion spring and continues to develop solutions, not just products.
In the early part of the new millennium, further solutions were developed. Pictured below, is a large diesel powered belt drive in the cotton industry utilises Leverlink innovation.
Over the last few years we have developed light-weight hybrid guarding that provides a solution to many stakeholders.